Monday, October 10, 2011

My Top 10 Reasons Why Being a Boy's Mom Rocks.

My Top 10 Reasons Why Being a "Boy's Mom" Rocks!

10. Boy parts.
Yep, I said it. The penis. Thanks to it I can dodge a stream of pee like a ninja. All babies have those horrible blow outs. You know, where poop is everywhere from the shoulder blades around to their belly button, sometimes higher. With boys, clean up is so much easier. No folds or extra holes for that poop to hide. And we can't forget potty training. Boys can pee anywhere!

9. Clothes
It is a fact. There are 10 times the availability of girls clothes than boys clothes. But after the first year, its ok! All you need are jeans a t-shirt! You hand a boy an outfit, he puts it on. Done. No multiple outfit changes. No tantrums over what they think matches. And most importantly, no pink, no hair bows, no tutus, and no accessories.

8. Whining/Drama
There is nothing that irritates me more than that high pitched nasal whiny voice that a lot of girls have! Argh! I'd rather scrape my finger nails down a chalkboard. Boys do whine, however it is not very often, short lived, and much more manageable. When a group of girls get together, drama. When boys get together, NO drama! Boys run from drama. Teenage years will be tremendously easier on me than my "girl mom" counterparts.

7. Potty humor
Little boys find anything related to their butt, penis, poop, pee pee, smells, sounds, actions, etc to be extremely hilarious. Have you ever been around a little boy who farts, starts laughing, and is then laughing and farting at the same time? They won't stop laughing until the run out of gas, literally. And oh how proud they are when the get a loud burp out! We all know they never grow out of it, so you might as well laugh right along with them. Consider it disgustingly cute.

6. Forts
Really this needs no explanation! Who doesn't love making and playing in a fort?!

5. Play hard or go home.
I was a tomboy growing up. I did play with dolls, and barbies, but I was also obsessed with my brothers Lego's, Playmobile sets, and race cars. I still get to play dress up because boys like to dress up too. However they wear underwear on their head, ugly masks, super hero costumes, capes, hats, cowboy boots and carry around swords or guns made out of virtually anything. Everything is one big contest. Who can get down the stairs the fastest, who can build the tallest tower of blocks, who has the fastest car, who has the most stars on Angry Birds, etc. And just when you think you have won, he will go and change the rules on you. It's all about trucks, trains, airplanes, and super heros. No squealing at the slimy and grimy. Give them a pile of dirt, a stick, and a backyard and boys are entertained for at least an hour. Boys have a fascination with the world that must be explored. Watching my little boy explore the world inspires me to do the same.

4. Fear not!
Boys are loud, have high-energy, love to wrestle, fight, jump off couches, play super heroes, try dare devil moves, and are very rambunctious. Little boys take a tumble and get right back up. Little dirt, little blood, little problem! Bumps, scrapes, bruises are all in a days work. When they get themselves into a problem, they will adamantly find a way out by themselves. "I got this Mommy."

3. Little boy kind of love
Getting love from my little man is the best feeling in the whole world. Little boys love differently. They give you slobbery kisses and their hugs usually start with a running leap. If you lay on the floor – game on! You will probably get jumped on, tackled and a knee to the face. But its always out of love. One minute you are snuggling on the bed, the next you are wrestling and tickling him to where he laughs so hard he can hardly breathe and then back to snuggling to catch his breath. To your little boy you are the only woman in the world that matters.

2. A boys laugh
Little girls giggle, but little boys laugh! Their laugh starts deep down in their toes and grows in their belly until it bursts out of their mouth, loud and unrestrained. They laugh easily and at the most random things. A little boys laugh is full of genuine joy and always infectious.

1. A little boy is a momma's boy, forever.
I will always have a special place in my little boys heart that no other woman can ever replace. I'm lucky to be in the stage where I am everything to my little boy. So much so that sometimes it can be smothering. But I know in ten years it won't be the same. That little boy won't place 20 kisses all over my face, throw his arms around my neck while watching cartoons, begging me to let him sleep in my bed, slipping his hand in mine as we walk, saying "I love you mommy" many times a day, or tell me I am the bestest mommy ever just for handing him a drink.

A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest.
- Irish proverb



2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love love love this post!! Little boys are amazing even when they aren't so little anymore. I have so enjoyed spending time with your little man, he reminds me of John as a lil fella. However you know I have to say 10 more years, just wait!!

Unknown said...

This post is SO TRUE! I love Brittany, don't get me wrong, she is my first born, my only daughter...but she is a Daddy's girl and has been since the moment I placed her in Brian's arms for the first time. But my boys...although they look up to their daddy, they are MY BOYS...they are not hormonal, selfish, and always willing to make sure I am happy and they generally take care of me when needed.